Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Dream Ticket

Michael Totten muses on the undecided voter. Lileks has described them as really, mostly, "people who don't like the guy who should be their guy, or like the guy who shouldn't be their guy, and they're really arm wrestling with themselves."

Well, that's me. But I'm not undecided, or even "soft." But I feel out of place in pure Republican pep rallies, or "conservative" war rooms. I can imagine a world where I would gladly vote for John Kerry over George Bush. In fact, if you subtract the war on Islamists from the current world, you've got that world.

About the only thing I'm absolutely certain of in this election is that I want TerAYsa Heinz Kerry for first lady. No matter what. The billionairhead is just too good for news copy; she's a page-one-gaffe-a-day type gal; we in the media can't let her get away. Dress her up like the Queen of Hearts in "Alice in Wonderland" play The Replacements' version of "Cruella de Ville" whenever she comes to the podium. What the hell, we vote for president, why not First Lady? They're just as important. We could have voted Marilyn in with JFK. We could have saddled Nixon with, say Gloria Steinem. I say Teresa would be a great helpmeet to Dubya. That's the ticket I want to hang my chad on: Cruella and the Cowboy; Hell is on the Way, America.