Sunday, April 17, 2005

Hafla




One of the advantages to having a belly-dancing wife is that, when performance time approaches, the library/study gets converted into a dance practice room, and on the excuse of needing to research some book, I can pass an hour watching beautiful evolutions.



Then I get asked my opinion on topics such as, "what do you think of the new black dance bra my friend Rachel made for me?" It beats getting asked my opinion on EU farm subsidies.



So, as you might have guessed, it's performance time; a hafla this weekend and a downtown dance festival next weekend. I've been seeing lots of fluid, wreathing arm and hand gestures. Amy, with her natural grace and ballet training, is particularly good at these.



The hafla went splendidly for my girl. She did a complicated sword dance, including floor work. It came off without a hitch, though she was mortified to see this picture and discover that, in her total concentration, she had unwittingly stuck her tongue out.



She also joined her instructor's troupe in a dance number. She's tall, so they usually put her in the back. A waste of a pretty girl, if you ask me.



The disadvantages of having a belly-dancing wife? I'll let you know when I think of any.

Labels: