Friday, May 27, 2005

Family Slides

I've been working my way through another box of old family slides, scanning them in and saving them on disk, to preserve them and so all of us who want them can have a copy. In this box I came across this classic sequence.

Easter, 1967, West Goshen Township, Pa. I've cropped these down a bit. My father taking pictures of the family in front of the house, Easter baskets in hand.



Picture one. I'm smiling for the camera, 7 years old. David, my brother, is not yet 3, too young to object to being dressed in shorts and black socks, and too young to look at dad and say "cheese" on command.



Picture two. Suddenly, David finds something worth paying attention to. An older brother's unguarded Easter basket. Toddler Valhalla.



Picture three. Munch, chomp, munch. Sheesh. And they always thought I was the bad seed and he was the ideal son. But there I am, still obliviously and dutifully posing for the camera. When did I wise up? Did I ever wise up?