Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Geneva Believer

How on earth do the Geneva people hope to devise an enforceable definition of "torture" in a world where to one set of people (fundamentalist Muslim men) it's attractive naked women who sat on their laps and "touched and spoke to detainees in a sexually suggestive manner," and to another set of people (my shore house buddies from the '80s) that's called a bachelor party?

U.S. military interrogators use dogs, bring them around and let them snarl at detainees. We're told that's cruel and unusual because Arabs "fear dogs" and Muslims regard them as unclean. I'm neither Muslim nor Arab, and I can't stand dogs. And I can't go out of my house, front door or back, without being snarled at and snapped at by big, fearsome, unclean dogs or knocked over by the stench of their cat-sized excrement.

Labels: