Friday, May 13, 2005

Network News

If you're looking for the kind of liberal blogger who can be openly pleased at the sight of a foreign crowd cheering an American president -- even if it's George W. Bush -- if you're looking for the kind of liberal blogger who can criticize an American president's words, then later second-guess himself for over-reacting -- even if it's George W. Bush -- then I highly recommend Praktike.

If you're an idealist in our foreign policy, he's a good daily reality check. Recently, he reminded me why I think "netword news" is an oxymoron, and why in 15 months of daily blogging (including the old site), mostly dedicated to world affairs, I don't think I've ever linked to a network news site.

I don't know about other folks, but I depend heavily for news and analysis on government-sponsored ventures like Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, the Beeb, and foundation-backed sources like NPR, Eurasianet, the Jamestown Foundation, and the Institute for War and Peace Reporting, and rarely link to the networks and watch the dreck they generally put out still less. The major newspapers are much better, but they tend to parachute their bigshot reporters in and out of places when they hear there's news afoot, no doubt relying on the wire services to keep them informed.