Monday, June 13, 2005

In Stead

Jeff Jarvis says he's being "hyperbolic" in his suggestion for what he'd like to see in place of the "International Freedom Center" that has been proposed as part of the reconstructed World Trade Centyer. That project, if you've been following the blog-coverage, has slowly morphed toward a "why we deserved this" display, angering many. Jeff says:

So in the place of the so-called Freedom Center, I want to see the truest expression of American freedom: commerce.

I want to see stores that sell scanty clothes, no burkas allowed.

I want to see restaurants that serve liquor.

I want to see movies that show anything, even sex.

I want to see bookstores that celebrate free speech.

I want to see stores selling products from all over the world: the fruits of globalization.

I want to see life there. Defiant, unapologetic life.


Frankly, from what I know of the men and women who died in the World Trade Center terrorism attacks, that looks just right.