Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Trenchant (and Hilarious)

Eve-Tushnet chronicles her responses to the "Dove" ads. (See if you can calculate her socio-political-spiritual-sexual orientation based on this alone, then see how far you have to stretch your weltanschauung to fit her in):

1. (Hey, I'll be honest with you) Whoa baby!!! That's a spicy meat-a-ball! Can I get some fries with that--

4. [INNER FEMINIST, INNER MARXIST, AND INNER CATHOLIC, IN UNISON] Stop that, you!

6. What the heck is "firming cream" anyway? [Answer: snake oil.]

9. The Dove ads actually get away with more titillation than comparable "normal" ads--I can't remember other campaigns that covered the Metro in underwear-clad women. (...And I think I would remember.) That's a kind of advertising passive-aggression, and it's really gross. Women's bodies are educational! They're infotainment! That's... really, really creepy.