Monday, December 19, 2005

Happy Holidays

Yeah, you heard me.

My coffee shop owner buddy said something today that I've been thinking for a while now.

"People who have a problem with 'Happy Holidays' don't have enough diversity in their lives."

Right. When you live in the kind of places where I've spent most of my life, you can't make automatic assumptions about other people's religions. And when you move in wide circles and often interact with people you don't really know personally, but don't wish to offend, a generic but sincere form of seasonal greeting is necessary.

I don't have a problem with "Merry Christmas." If you say that to me, I won't be the least bit offended. Just like I'm not offended if you say "bless you" after I sneeze. I take it in the spirit. And I don't use such excuses to jab my own religious beliefs into people. It would be rude to respond to "Merry Christmas" with "thank you, and may Hermes make your cock hard and your women lusty," or something.

There's two kinds of P.C.: One is political correctness, the other is "plain courtesy." Some folks can't be bothered to tell the difference.