Thursday, January 26, 2006

Welcome to Eighth Grade

Hmph. According to these folks, my blog is written on an eighth-grade reading level.

But I can't be insulted, because it's a computer algorithm, not a personal assessment. If you have a blog or a Web site, check it out. It's kind of fun in a bored rainy Saturday afternoon with nothing to do kind of way.

Here's my breakdown:

  • Average words per Sentence 13.96
  • Percentage of word with three or more syllables 14.71%
  • Gunning Fog Index 11.47

According to the site, my Gunning Fog Index is roughly the same as the "Wall Street Journal's." That's higher than "Time" and "Newsweek" (10) but below "The Times" and "The Guardian" (14). I bet I make fewer factual errors and have fewer typos than "The Guardian," but no credit for that.

On the "Flesch Reading Ease" I score a 61.37

"The result is an index number that rates the text on a 100-point scale. The higher the score, the easier it is to understand the document. Authors are encouraged to aim for a score of approximately 60 to 70. "

My "Flesch-Kincaid Grade" is 8.17

"The result is the Flesch-Kincaid grade level. Like the Gunning-Fog index, it is a rough measure of how many years of schooling it would take someone to understand the content. Negative results are reported as zero, and numbers over twelve are reported as twelve."

So, like mid-October of eighth grade.