Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Shuffling The Deck ≠ Playing The Hand

My, this POV sounds familiar.**

In my cynicism, however, I think this is what we're going to get as long as sharp partisanship rules, of whatever flavor.

Is it time to consider one consecutive six-year term for presidents (if they want another bite at the apple, fine--but they can wait it out for one term before trying again) and 4-year, rather than 2-year, terms for House members? (I'm not claiming originality here, by the way.)

Sometimes I fantasize if/how things would be different under such a scenario, though of course I don't really know if anything would change and haven't sat down to think through all of the implications.

One thing I do know for sure: I am sick to death of presidential second terms (name ONE in my lifetime that hasn't been wracked by big problems and/or failures and that hasn't contributed to the insidious pessimism of the body politic) and, on the House front, the necessarily incessant politicking and fundraising.

Maybe a radical change IS in order: just not the kind we keep talking about.

(**Though I was focusing on just one particular area, in this case.)