Thursday, June 01, 2006

First Day Out Of School

Ai yi yi yi yi. Everything takes a period of (re)adjustment. I can see that after a year of (overly) structured school days, it's going to take a while for my son to regain the art of finding something to do. And I'm going to have to work on my (too low) toleration for interruption.

Sheesh, is it time for lunch yet??!!! (Remember that we're on central time.)

It took me less than five hours to start feeling somewhat desperate. This leads directly to the reason why, as I type, there are soap suds dripping from the ceiling of my kitchen, water water everywhere, and a baleful, glaring, dripping dog snuffling dramatically at my feet. And a son with an alarmingly deep-green tongue who, in victory, is watching some stupid Disney show.

Let's have some fun: Use your imagination to construct a narrative that fits the above facts.

One clue: The penultimate scene was fatally set in motion when, while washing some of those stacking cookie-cooling racks, someone noticed that the soapy water residue was clinging to the parallel and perpendicular wires like ... .

Gotta go. Lotsa cleanup to do, fruit salad to make (for a class picnic) and miles to go before I sleep. And miles to go before I sleep.