Saturday, July 22, 2006

Break Out The Shades and Surgical Gloves

Not that I really think that they will prevent biometric spoofing.

Right? Because if they will, I'll have to rethink my whole approach to accessorizing.
Although biometric security systems--using fingerprints, iris scans and facial recognition--are only just now entering the mainstream, they are likely to be common within a few years.

And as soon as biometrics begin to be used to protect bank accounts or benefit systems, crooks will start looking at ways of breaking into them, according to Bori Toth, biometric research and advisory lead at Deloitte & Touche.

Biometric spoofing is a "growing concern", she said.

Toth told silicon.com: "We are leaving our prints everywhere so the chance of someone lifting them and copying them is real.

"Currently it's only researchers that are doing spoofing and copying. It's not a mainstream activity--but it will be. It's just human nature; if it can be done it will be done if you can achieve some benefit from it."


Idle questions: If you leave your fingerprints everywhere, are they actually private? If I regularly seek and maintain eye contact, can I later say that my irises aren't public? If I talk constantly, am I just begging to be recorded?

Sure, these questions are farfetched. But then, so was this sort of technology, not so very long ago.

Identity theft, indeed.