Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Back to School

It's the end of August. The Amish are bringing in the corn, the succulent local peaches are disappearing from Market, and the ice cream truck no longer wakes me up every afternoon. Schools are back, which means my newspaper is doing its back-to-school story. This year we chose to hang it on a new teacher who was supposed to start last year, but got called up and deployed to Iraq instead.

Of course, one of our most fervent anti-war reporters was sent out to interview him (the one who asserts Iraqis were better off under Saddam). I was delighted to see he steered away from her leading question.

"I saw a lot of good things over there," he said. "There is obviously bad stuff going on, but there is a lot of good. I wish (the media) would show some of the building projects."

My contractor friend will be pleased. I wonder if the parenthetical "the media" replaced a "they" or a "you." And I wonder if all the people calling out to "bring the troops home now" understand how many of them will come home and ask that same question. I wonder if those beating the retreat will have an answer ready for them.