Monday, October 02, 2006

Amish School Shooting

[posted by Callimachus]

It's happening just down the road from here. As far as I know, none of my Amish acquaintances has been touched by it. But I cannot imagine the level of barbarity that could tie up little Amish girls and then kill them.

I can't say much, and keep my job. But there's a lot of questions and misinformation about the Amish. I'm not an expert on them in the academic sense, but just having lived among them for 16 years I've learned their basic ways. So this is an open thread for questions or clarifications, which I'll try to answer as the night goes on. Bear in mind I can't write about the specifics of the story.

I'll try to check back from time to time and answer. It's going to be a busy night.

UPDATE: It took until 5:15 p.m. for a newsroom companion to use the tragedy as a segue into a Bush joke. That's actually about an hour longer than I would have expected.

UPDATE II: Complete fucking bullshit blind-assed media alert

It was the nation’s third deadly school shooting in less than a week, and it sent shock waves through Lancaster County’s bucolic Amish country, a picturesque landscape of horse-drawn buggies, green pastures and neat-as-a-pin farms, where violent crime is virtually nonexistent.

Yep. Virtually nonexistent. Except for, oh, this, and this, and this, and a lot of less-notorious ones. Media drones. Show them a cow and they think they're in Mayberry.

Even an unhinged and stupid MSM critic like me gets a lesson when the big media comes to my town, in how utterly wrong they get everything.