Tuesday, December 05, 2006

12 Years of Christmas

[posted by Callimachus]

Sixth photo: Dec. 25, 1966.




Well, the cat got bigger. And I hadn't realized what a young scientist I was back then.

The "Christmas village" under the tree is in a typical state of disarray. As it is in all the photos, if you look back: Church unroofed, citizens sprawled in the streets, trees toppled by groundswells. Five minutes into Christmas morning it always looked like the first village on the French side of the German border.

What I think of when I look at this picture now is, my old friend Uncle Charlie was dead. I remember because that's his old family-piece desk behind the red chair. It's in our living room now and belongs to my son. My great-uncle, Charles Sumner H_____, was born before 1880 and I used to like hanging out with him when I was little because he was slow and fragile like me. My parents went to the funeral without me.