Friday, April 06, 2007

Punked Nation

[posted by Callimachus]

"I can't believe you thought I was serious."

That's what my son used to say, when he was 11 or so, when he realized he'd said or done something that was over the line, and he was being called on it. Usually it was uttered in tones of great personal woundedness.

It never worked. It got really embarrassing for him when I saw the situation coming and said it to him before he even opened his mouth. By the time he was 12, he had cut it out.

Too bad. If he had kept it up, it could have gotten him into Yale.

Or gotten him prominence as an anti blogger. This seems to be a blossoming meme. Say or do something stupid or offensive, then if you get called on it, pounce back with a "Hah! I laid that trap and you fell into it! You're the fool, for not recognizing a joke!"

Then sue you as a John Doe.