Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Snorts of Derision

[posted by Callimachus]

Joshua Marshall, who I understand is one of the top "liberal" bloggers, writes SC State Treasurer Thomas Ravenel indicted for conspiracy to distribute crack. But I don't see any mention of crack, which is a specific type of cocaine, in any of the news reports. Yet this simple statement still stands, and Marshall's post is the one linked to, approvingly, by most of the left-siders.

I'm curious to see how this is going to be played on that side. Since -- so far -- all that's been published about the case deals with a one-time purchase of a limited amount of the drug to share with friends:

The millionaire is accused of buying less than 500 grams of the drug to share with other people in late 2005, U.S. Attorney Reggie Lloyd said. Ravenel, 44, is charged with distribution of cocaine, which carries a maximum sentence of 20 years in prison.

Doesn't mean he had all of 500 grams; that's just the cut-off number for one type of charge versus another. "Less than" here could mean much less than.

So isn't this one of those recreational users caught in the web of the idiotic and rights-trampling "War on Drugs" that my fellow "Legalize It" types are supposed to hold up as examples of the stupidity of the crusade and the attendant waste of productive lives?

No, not when it's a rich GOP politician. Then it's going to be "hypocrisy" and pile on the snark as deep as you can -- as it is on matters of race or sexuality. I guess I'm not curious to see it after all. I think I'll skip the whole affair.