Friday, July 27, 2007

Council Winners

[posted by Callimachus]

Council winners for the week of July 27 have been posted.

First place in the council went to a wonderful post, Little Noted But Long Remembered from Right Wing Nut House. I'm embarrassed to say the anniversary of the moon landing passed me by unnoticed. But Rick rightly points out that that humble footprint in the lunar dust will be there long after every issue that roiled us this week is past and forgotten.

Following up was a tie between Russia Vs. The US: No Contest at Cheat Seeking Missiles and Boy, Was Thomas Right by The Colossus of Rhodey, who notes some disturbing trends in British education.

Votes also went to Max Boot to Kissinger -- “Iraq Isn't Vietnam, Henry” by ‘Okie’ on the Lam; another of my anti-snark pieces; and Palestinian Terrorists' Release -- Rattlesnake Logic at Joshuapundit.


Outside the council, the winner was In the Shadows of Fallen Comrades by Cpl. John Matthew Bishop in The Atlanta Journal Constitution. I linked to that piece here and it sparked a hellacious discussion of everything under the sun in current affairs. I also nominated it to the council this week, but I ended up not voting for it. I think it's a sterling piece that needs to be read and re-read and taken to heart. But when it comes to council votes, I tend to weight my choices toward actual blog posts. This was a newspaper op-ed piece.

Votes also went to Name That Party: Investigators by Don Surber, who does a superb job here of tracking an inconsistency in media coverage that strongly suggests an ideological taint. This is the sort of thing blogs do well and nothing else does quite as well.

Votes also went to General David Petraeus on the Conditions on the Ground in Iraq by Hugh Hewitt. I agree with some critics that this was a rather Larry King-ish softball performance. Our friend Sideways also got a vote for "Meanwhile, in the Real World" at Donklephant. Votes also went to Watching the Debate Would Not Have Helped My Mental Health at Classical Values and The Night Mitch McConnell Became the Leader of the Republican Party at
Hugh Hewitt's blog, which I actually thought was a better piece than the Petraeus interview.