Friday, December 21, 2007

I 'Saw' Romney Kissing Santa Claus

This is brilliant. Make a simple declarative statement. Subject-verb-direct object. Then when someone discovers it is not true, say, "It was a figure of speech."

Romney said his father had told him he had marched with King and that he had been using the word "saw" in a "figurative sense."

"If you look at the literature, if you look at the dictionary, the term 'saw' includes being aware of in the sense I've described," Romney told reporters in Iowa. "It's a figure of speech and very familiar, and it's very common. And I saw my dad march with Martin Luther King. I did not see it with my own eyes, but I saw him in the sense of being aware of his participation in that great effort."

In other words, "saw" means "never saw."

Yeah!

I'm going to start doing me some figuring of speech. Like, "When I said, 'I'll pay you back Tuesday,' that was just a figure of speech."