Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Vote-Killer

I've said since about the middle of last year that every candidate running for president had already said something that ought to disqualify me from seriously considering him or her for the job. I've tried to tune those things out and think realistically about what they really can and will do.

But this one is looking to me like a vote-killer.

"[Some of my opponents] do not want to change the Constitution, but I believe it's a lot easier to change the constitution than it would be to change the word of the living God, and that's what we need to do is to amend the Constitution so it's in God's standards rather than try to change God's standards."

When Seward talked about a "higher law" than the Constitution, I think he was swept away by his love of his own rhetorical phrasing. It likely cost him the presidency. I think Huckabee, unlike Seward, probably means it. The penalty for that hasn't changed since 1860.

Look, I don't care if Huck thinks the world was made intact in Seven Days. I've just been reading that John Quincy Adams, a president I hold in high regard, was not convinced the Earth rotated around the Sun. I don't care about that, because Huck is not going to go into my kid's science classroom and pitch the teacher out the window and read Genesis.

But he is going to be in charge of enforcing the Constitution for at least four years, if he wins. And with appointing judges who will interpret it for many years to come. And there's an awful lot of starry-eyed Patrick Henry graduates out there.

Labels: , ,