Saturday, October 30, 2004

The Bin Laden Tape

First thought: "Damn, he's alive."

Second thought (after finding a transcript): "He's alive, and he's seen 'Fahrenheit 9/11.' "

He's smart, for sure. He knows nothing about America and Americans, but he has a nose for weakness, and he has discovered something by watching us. This was much different than anything he's given us before. (Sure it was larded with lies: I don't believe for a minute that 1982 Beiruit was when he got the passion and the inspiration for bringing down the WTC.) And it was effective. In my newsroom last night, I could see the wheels turning as the editors read the words he spoke:

He talks just like Michael Moore. ... And I believe and approve everything Michael Moore says. ... So ... that means ...

Before the night was over I even heard someone say, "Gee, I never thought I'd agree with Osama bin Laden." But then, anyone who hates Bush can't be a bad guy, right?