Thursday, October 14, 2004

How Common is This?

The Ephrata Review, a local weekly up this way, reported Wednesday on the Ephrata High School senior class mock election of the day before. Bush won, of course, reflecting the prevailing sentiments in this conservative, religious community, by a tally of 81-35 with 46 percent of "eligible seniors" voting (what you had to do to be rendered "ineligible" in this election wasn't explained).

The Kerry backers in the school made up in volume what they lacked in numbers, it seems.

On multiple occasions throughout the three-hour lunch period, chants of "Drop Bush, not bombs" could be heard around the voting table in the high school cafeteria.

But what interested me most was this extended quote from an anti-Bush girl whose father is a public school social studies teacher who uses Michael Moore's "Fahrenheit 9/11" as a teaching tool in class.

"Everything he (Bush) says is pretty much a lie," said Julia Boyer. "My dad's a government teacher and he and I watched the debates together and we just roll on the floor laughing. ..."

...Boyer said not only has she seen ["Fahrenheit 9-11"], her family has already ordered three copies of the DVD.

"My dad's using it in class and I am burning myself a copy because I have Michael Moore's permission," she said. "Me and my family -- we are going to try to have a screening in our house for our neighborhood before the election."

[emphasis added]

How common is this? Are teachers really passing off this bilious bit of propaganda as a civics lesson?

Labels: ,