Wednesday, December 08, 2004

My Life and Bad Tunes

Check out the Grammy "record of the year" winners during my formative years:

1973: Year I first started listening to FM radio: "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" Roberta Flack

Comment: saccharine treacle, or treacly saccharine? You decide.
I was listening to: George Harrison

1974: Year I bought my first LP ("Revolver"): "Killing Me Softly" Roberta Flack

Comment: [see above]
I was listening to: Beatles

1975: Year I first slow-danced with a girl (Lisa something-that-began-with-"D"): "I Honestly Love You" Olivia Newton-John

Comment: Puke-making musical lard
I was listening to; Steely Dan, Bruce Springsteen

1976: Year I got my first job: "Love Will Keep Us Together" Captain & Tennille

Comment: Bouncy as a zombie on a trampoline. And about as sexy.
I was listening to: Peter Frampton, Aerosmith

1977: Year I played in my first rock band: "This Masquerade" George Benson

Comment: Almost like jazz. Yes, I'm kidding.
I was listening to: Supertramp, "Crime of the Century;" John Coltrane; Fleetwood Mac, "Mystery to Me"

1978: High school graduation: "Hotel California" The Eagles

Comment: "You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave." Actually, you can leave. Right now. Please go. And take the rest of the song with you.
I was listening to: Warren Zevon, "Excitable Boy."

1979: Living on my own in Europe: "Just The Way You Are" Billy Joel

Comment: My favorite song ever! "You're a boring dowdy, but don't bother trying to change." Written to his then-wife. By the time I got back from Europe ha had dumped her and hooked up with a supermodel.
I was listening to: Elvis Costello, "My Aim is True."

1980: First romp in the sack: "What A Fool Believes" The Doobie Brothers

Comment: "Can you imagine doobie in your funk? Ho!" [George Clinton]
I was listening to: Steve Winwood; Genesis, "Lamb Lies Down on Broadway"

1981: First serious girlfriend: "Sailing" Christopher Cross

Comment: reedy and whiny.
I was listening to: Pink Floyd

1982: First car (1965 Buick Special) "Bette Davis Eyes" Kim Carnes

Comment: The vocal smoothness of Tom Waits effortlessly married to the songwriting depth of Barry Manilow.
I was listening to: Bob Marley, Toots & the Maytals, Dave Edmunds

1983: College graduation: "Rosanna" Toto

Comment: I remember sitting in my apartment and hearing this had swept the Grammies, and thinking, "take me now, Lord."
I was listening to: Gregorian chant

1984: First newspaper job: "Beat It" Michael Jackson

Comment: This was the year I gave up altogether on contemporary popular music. I listened to the Byrds, the Blasters, the Pogues, Nick Lowe, whatever I liked, and began following the threads. Basically, I never turned on the radio again.

Labels: ,