Friday, January 21, 2005

The Tao of Mom

More family photos from the shoebox. Today's theme is "Mom's magical eye." First, a disclaimer: These are not cropped. What you see is exactly what she took, we developed, and what's been saved and passed down to me as a cherished memorial of The Way We Were.

I have comparatively few pictures of my father over the years, sadly. Many of what I do have are his company photos from Philadelphia Electric Co. But the good news is, he was usually the one on the business end of the Polaroid. Which means most of the family album is well-composed.

My mother, on the other hand ...



When my mother laid hands on a camera, the result gives a striking impression of a woman attempting to take pictures of some furniture, but people keep getting in the way.

This was some family function, circa 1974. That's my right knee, in the lower righthand corner of the picture.



And this -- thank heaven somebody took notes on the back of the print -- is my poor brother's seventh birthday party. That's him down there at the lower left. This is all we have to remember it by. There's not even a sillhouette of an apostle in the wallpaper, or anything else I can hawk on e-Bay, to justify this.

[More on the burden of being the family archivist here, and here.]