Monday, February 07, 2005

Owning Up

Snopes is reporting that the "kidnapped" U.S. soldier John Adam who turned out to be an action figure doll was likely the work of a young Iraqi. It said he posted this apology:


In the name of God, the Most Merciful and Most Compassionate,

Soldier John Adam is a toy.

I am a 20-year old Iraqi young man. I am unarmed, independent and do not belong to any party or group. I apologize to all the parties and everyone, for I meant nothing by that.

The picture was a scheme that I made up with a toy that I bought with $5.

Today I am announcing that this news was made up, and that the picture was of a toy that I worked on with the help of some children.

I cannot provide any information about me because, as I mentioned earlier, I am unarmed, and any information about me might jeopardize my life and the lives of my family.

My apologies to everyone.