Friday, January 20, 2006

Brokeback Mountain

And here's another movie I won't be seeing.

If it had simply been released, simply been put out there like any other low-key film, I might have gone. Sexuality interests me: The psychology of it, the social consequences, the business of living a secret sexual life. Homo sum; nihil humani a me alienum puto -- and libido? what could be more human? I've studied that and written about it.

But this? It's so painfully obvious that "Hollywood" (whatever that is: a mindset with money) thinks this film is Good For Me. It thinks every Republican-leaning, conservatively inclined, What's-Wrong-With-Kansas bonehead needs to be enlightened. And they have the means to do it.

I don't think women should be sexually harrassed. I despise my co-workers' racist jokes (yes, liberals do it, too). I also don't attend workplace "sensitivity seminars" unless I'm dragooned into them.

Fact is, I don't think Hollywood knows what's good for me, or for itself, or for anyone. Fact is, I'd rather decide that for myself. I don't think Hollywood is smart enough to parse complex issues. The whole point of Hollywood is to make things big and bright and simple.

So when I see Hollywood pushing a movie with a social agenda and a yen to transform the way America thinks, my inner 5-year-old kicks in at this point. Good for me? I'm not going to eat that.