Friday, March 03, 2006

Council Winners

This week's Watchers Council winners are up.

First place among the posts by council members went to yours truly. Thank you for the honor.

It's especially honorable because this was such a strong group of posts to compete against. The post with the second-most votes, for instance, was The Breach by New Sisyphus, which is one of the most powerful bits of writing I've seen online in a while. It stirred me to respond to its challenges.

Outside the council, the top vote-getter was The Beginning of the Universe by the essential Michael J. Totten. I'm really proud of this one, and only in part because I nominated it (others might have done so, too, I can't tell). It's a haunting and spiritual visit to a place known more for violence and politics. And it reminds me that there are -- numerically -- small religions slipping around the elephant feet of the monster monotheisms, and that their God-stuff is just as intense and electric as Rome or Mecca or Jerusalem.

Second place went to SC&A Address the Grads of Stupid University On Iraq in Sigmund, Carl, and Alfred, which I cant decide if it's more sad than funny, but is excellent any way you look at it.