Sunday, May 28, 2006

"O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"

Why May is the one month of the year, every year since forever, that I read sports sections predictably and reliably.

I still can't forgive the hubris that caused the infamous "split" a decade ago and, more, continues to tarnish the Indy 500's proud tradition. (Registration required, but free: Just do it.) Pffahh!

Still, even that hasn't broken my own unbreakable tradition, oh no no no no no!

I'm 1000% percent sure that I first heard and listened to that glorious whine, then via radio, as a just-shy-of-3-months-old babe, back in 1961.

It still thrills.

Update: The title references, of course, "Jabberwocky" from Lewis Carroll's "Through the Looking-Glass and What Alice Found There."

Update, post-race: Wow! One of the most exciting in a long, long time! And that last lap ... .

Good for Sam Hornish! But I must say it would have been nice to see Michael Andretti finally emerge the champion. And Marco: Amazing. It's going to be great fun to follow the career of another Andretti.

(Fiendishly hot day for the Indy. First time I ever winced when the victory milk went splashing everywhere, just because, well, you know.)