Saturday, May 13, 2006

Something To Offend Everyone

How did a holocaust-denying, white-supremacy-sympathizing atheist who supports legalizing drugs and shooting illegal immigrants manage to become a potential candidate for attorney general of Alabama, should he win the Democratic primary?

That's one heck of a profile mix, sure to contain at least one or two elements that one would think are anathema to key blocks of voters. The situation sounds more like the subject of a "South Park" episode than anything else.

Here's the kicker: A poll last month put support for Larry Darby at 12 percent as opposed to his opponent, at 21 percent, but 68 percent of respondents were undecided.

Let's hope that this is because potential voters were as uninformed as Alabama Democratic Party officials, who say they only just became aware of Darby's views, and not because they're seriously considering this clown.

(Oh--and I suppose I must clarify: OF COURSE I don't equate atheism or advocating drug legalization with the other items in the profile. But they're part of what makes the mix so fascinating.)

Update: Nothing I have tried has permitted me to fix that incredibly annoying (to me at least) bad break in the first line of this post. Yet another reason to add to my list of reasons why blogging is no damn good for me.