Thursday, December 07, 2006

Honoring Our Troops On Pearl Harbor Day

[Posted by reader_iam]

Specifically because of their subject matter, and egged on by Cal, I'm going to cross-post here today's three "Blogging Advent Calendars," which I moved to my old blog and will be continuing there. They're intended to be read in non-blog order (though I'm not sure that matters).

And what am I listening to while doing all this shuffling? My first gift of the season ... a downloaded collection of Vera Lynn
that includes "White Cliffs of Dover." I can remember from tot days all three of my grandparents (one died when I was two months old) doing renditions of that song, whether singing it, humming it, or in the case of the one who won a whistling contest as a young girl, whistling it to me. Oh, don't get me wrong--I have lots of material from Vera Lynn and other singers/musicians of that era. But a lot of it was inherited on vinyl (and I no longer have a working turntable), or was on long-since degraded tape, and some significant songs--such as "Cliffs"--have been slow to hit iTunes, which, truth be told, is how I purchase most music, with the exception of classical, these days. Over the years, I've slowly built up digital duplicates, but was lacking the signature piece.

But I digress. Onward.