Friday, January 12, 2007

Grow Up, Little Man

[Posted by reader_iam]

Ben Shapiro--third-year law student at Harvard! Ooooh! At 22!--writes a particularly snarky and sexist little column about Speaker Pelosi, in which he amply demonstrates that he's more bark than brilliant, and odious to boot.

Luckily, I don't have to do a detailed takedown through my nausea, because Punkassblog has already done it. (I must say, however, that I disagree with this broad-brush statement: "You have to hand it to the Republicans, they practically invented cheap political ploys involving children." By my lights, this is a general politician thing, not a partisan one, and it's sort of silly to say otherwise. But I quibble.)

Yo, Ben--here's a free bit of advice from my womb to your ears: You're the one who's reducing someone to her plumbing, so get your head out of your ass and spend some time thinking about how offensive it might be to women that you feel free to carry on about the ovaries and genitalia and breasts of the first female Speaker of the House in the tone of a pre-teenage boy.

Oh, and for the record? I'm not a Nancy Pelosi fan; I'm not what you would call "a liberal"; and I don't have my sexism meter set to sensitive. I am a woman, however--and a mother, old enough to be yours, as a matter of fact, easily.

As I would say to my own kid if he spouted such sexist nonsense: "Sit down and shut up."