Tuesday, January 09, 2007

One Sentence, Two Different Readings

[Posted by reader_iam]

You know, I read this statement by Suzanne Somers...
"My nature is to look at the glass half full. I don't have a son or daughter in Iraq. I haven't lost a loved one. We will rebuild, and I truly believe we will learn something great from this experience."

...in response to losing her Malibu home to fire completely differently than did Tammy Bruce.

Maybe it's because 1) the bolded statement could be read in more than one way or 2) my impression, without really consciously thinking about it before I read Bruce's post, was that Somers was a troop supporter. So--while I didn't, nor do I want or intend to, spend time researching Somers tonight--I did a quick Google to figure why I was under that impression. In less than a minute, I found this:
NEW YORK, July 11, 2005 - Representatives from every service of the armed forces filed into the Brooks Atkinson Theater for Suzanne Somers’s Broadway debut, the Blonde in the Thunderbird, July 9.

Over 250 service members, along with friends and family were invited to attend the show. Somers, a longtime supporter of the armed forces, was presented with tokens of appreciation by honored representatives from each service for her outstanding commitment to troops at home and abroad throughout the years.
...
The former Three’s Company star has performed in numerous tours with the Bob Hope United Service Organization Show. Somers, at times having faced imminent danger while performing on behalf of troops, is no stranger to the sacrifices service members make to ensure America’s safety.

Today, she recollects on the courage of her own family members who were in the armed forces, and she continues to show her commitment to service members by stressing the importance of programs like America Supports You, which coordinates efforts of those that want to show gratitude to the men and women of the armed forces.

“I went to Normandy in the north of France, and I stood on top of the bluff overlooking Omaha Beach…I realized that my 17-year old uncle Dave and my 18-year old uncle Ralph got off those boats, and it was just purely luck that anybody lived. It was a ‘turkey shoot’…there was no protection for any kind for them. That’s when I said, ‘Man…what courage that takes,” said Somers with intense awe. “I’m a baby boomer, and my father, grandfathers, and uncles were all in World War II. So, I just have had this affinity for soldiers. Men in uniform are very special to me, because I know what it takes, and I’ve been around it all my life.
...
Director of Marine Corps Public Affairs’ Brig. Gen. Mary Ann Krusa-Dossin was in attendance as one of the honored guests of the show and presented Somers with a United States Marines Corps brooch in for her tireless efforts. The brooch was comprised of the Corps’ eagle, globe and anchor, olive branches, and a ruby, which signified the pride, dedication to peace, and endured sacrifices that are held highly in the Corps.

“I’m just so proud to be here this evening to represent the Marine Corps,” said Krusa-Dossin. “Suzanne Somers has supported all the armed forces for a number of years. Tonight, she gave of herself in her performance, as well as seats to her show, and it was all from the bottom of her heart. I, for one, thought her performance was moving.” [Emphasis added throughout.]

I don't know what you think, but I'm guessing that are at least a few people out there who might question these words from Ms. Bruce:
...She owes her remarkable existence, in all its absurdity and wealth, to those who have made a sacrifice, yes, even greater than hers. She ponders how lucky she is that she doesn't have a family member serving this nation and protecting our freedom, when instead she should get on her knees and thank those who do that dangerous and thankless work.

Suzanne Somers is an arrogant, thoughtless, selfish Malignant Narcissist. ...

Or maybe I'm just going off half-cocked. Could be.