Thursday, February 08, 2007

Anna Nicole Smith Reported Dead [Updated]

[Posted by reader_iam]

I just heard that on CNN. Here's the link I can find that mentions her death, as opposed to her just collapsing.

What a long, strange, sad path through life. Hard to believe she was just 39.

Updated: I really am feeling unaccountably sad about this. Perhaps it has to do with that to which Callamachus is alluding in the comment he made in reponse to this post:
All over the networks now. I know she was a big girl and made her own choices, but there's something I really loathe about the way we (popular culture) set up certain quirky characters as collective pets, then lose interest in them, then develop this macabre interest in "the sad story" when we find them frozen stiff in the back yard on a frigid day.

She was the underarm accessory chihuahua of 1990s America, and we are a collective Paris Hilton/Britney Spears.
Ouch. And--yes.

Add a little guilt to that sadness.