Saturday, March 17, 2007

Snappin' Synapses!

[Posted by reader_iam]

"She took the red pills."



Inquiring minds apparently still want to know whether the following fictional lines have real-life resonance, in a not-so-unrelated context:
"Oh, Helen, come on: Neely O'Hara can't hurt you."

"Hehheh. You bet your ass she can't: She's not going to get the chance."
Gotta get off, gonna get
Have to get off from this ride
Gotta get hold, gonna get
Need to get hold of my pride

When did I get, where did I
How was I caught in this game
When will I know, where will I
How will I think of my name

When did I stop feeling sure, feeling safe
And start wondering why, wondering why
Is this a dream, am I here, where are you
What's in back of the sky, why do we cry

Gotta get off, gonna get
Out of this merry-go-round
Gotta get off, gonna get
Need to get on where I'm bound

When did I get, where did I
Why am I lost as a lamb
When will I know, where will I
How will I learn who I am

Is this a dream, am I here, where are you
Tell me, when will I know, how will I know
When will I know why?


Yep, it's the song I dialed up within paragraphs of starting to read this story.

So, opine away: Was Marilyn Monroe a candle in the wind or a deliberately snuffed-out light on the altar of an American dynasty's ambition?

Hat tip.

Update: OK, now this has me going in a separate line of thought. You know, we all act as if the person, and office, of the Attorney General of the United States ought to be one of probity, of dignity, of austerity, and maybe of a noble, self-effacing, above-it-all state of neutrality. (More important, we act as if that's been the norm, with rare aberration.) But, really, has it ever been so at least within a spittin' distance of the length of my lifetime? (I just turned 46 a week ago.)

It's late, and so I have not researched this sudden notion-of-impression of mine. I admit it. Still: How far out on a limb am I in saying that more attorneys general than not have been controversial in one way or another, to put it politely -- party- and administration-affiliation notwithstanding?

Man, I'm thinking I'm in for some heavy-duty dreams tonight.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,