Monday, January 07, 2008

Ghouls

The death of Maj. Andrew Olmstead has touched a lot of people all through this shabby, sprawling city of online writers. It was a privilege to share his brief stint on the Watchers Council. As many have noted in reading his final post, he was a man who could make you laugh even at the worst news. And I'm impressed how many writers and commenters of all stripes have been able to write about him in obedience to his final wish for us:

I do ask (not that I’m in a position to enforce this) that no one try to use my death to further their political purposes. I went to Iraq and did what I did for my reasons, not yours. My life isn’t a chit to be used to bludgeon people to silence on either side.

Even Michelle Malkin so far has been silent. The gods know what that must have cost. LGF noted it without further commentary. Even the majority of commenters there kept it tightly on topic.

Sadly, though, not everyone can manage even that. Nor, especially, can everyone's commenters.