Friday, January 21, 2005

OK, Science Fiction Fans

Here's a test. I'm digging into the newspaper archives this week, and I come across this front-page story from Feb. 16, 1933, headlined: Roosevelt Escapes Assassin in Fla. What is the significance of this bit of trivia in science fiction history?

Miami, Fla. – (AP) – A determined gunman with poor aim made a deliberate attempt Wednesday night to assassinate President-elect Franklin D. Roosevelt, but his shots instead seriously wounded Anton Cermak, mayor of Chicago, and four other persons.
He was a stocky, swarthy complexioned assailant with curly black hair who fired on the President-elect's party in a Miami street crowd. Mr. Roosevelt was not hurt.

The would-be assassin said he was Joe Zangara, of New York, and told police he attempted to kill the King of Italy some years ago.

"I'm all right," shouted Mr. Roosevelt immediately after the shooting as he waved his arm to show the crowd he escaped the bullets.

President-elect Roosevelt issued the following statement Wednesday night:
"I am deeply moved by the serious injuries inflicted upon my friends tonight and I am remaining in Miami to learn in the morning of their condition. I am entirely unharmed."

The bullet entered Cermak's chest, and little hope was held for his life. He is fifty-nine.