Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Hey, I Know that Guy

Running an online dictionary, I get a lot of interesting correspondents. Andrej Mucic has written me from time to time with questions about Slavic etymologies, that I've tried to answer, though not always as promptly as I should have. He's definitely "good people." I knew he was a Home Depot employee, but I didn't realize he was an amateur cyclist.

Now I learn he's taking 100 days off work to bike 5,000 miles across Siberia to raise $10,000 to benefit the American Anti-Slavery Group.

Here's his words:

When I once worked in Greece and Cyprus, I would see escaped agricultural slaves from the Pelopponese wandering the streets and picking food out of the garbage. I knew people who made their Pilipino and Pakistani household servants sleep on the floor in the garage. Almost every corner pub had at least three Russian sex slaves. I was shocked.

Then one day, years later, I was walking through Harvard Square and saw students tabling for the American Anti-Slavery Group. I took a newsletter and read about Alexander Dynan’s bike-a-thon. I’m a serious amateur cyclist, and I was inspired to do something similar.

I chose Siberia for a few reasons: (1) the legacy of the gulags, (2) the English word for slave comes from the word Slav, and (3) many Russians today are trafficked as slaves. I want to raise awareness in the US about this issue and also in Russia. I’d like the Russians to know that their suffering is being noticed by people very far away.


I didn't realize till now how proud I was to know this guy, even peripherally. Please give him your support.