Sunday, June 18, 2006

Laugh-A-Lot

I think my shopping habits confuse Amazon, at least that feature which suggests additional items for purchase based on recent selections, or over time, or however that routine is set up. I've gotten this impression time and again.

Just now, for example, I put into my shopping cart a collection of items that included Paul Berman's "Terror and Liberalism," James Bowman's "Honor: A History," John Stossel's "Myths, Lies, and Downright Stupidity: ...", Peter Beinart's "The Good Fight: ...", and Kos/Armstrong's "Crashing the Gate: ...". Along with the sort of "better together" pitches that you'd expect, Amazon also suggested that I consider buying two different versions of "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" soundtrack and the Broadway cast recording for Monty Python's "Spamalot," among other things.

What the--?? Is there supposed to be a deeper meaning here? Is Amazon suggesting that I've a put together a shopping cart of spoof, even of high camp?

And should I take it personally that an impersonal shopping service appears to be making fun of me?