Thursday, September 28, 2006

"I Ain't Drunk"

[Posted by reader_iam]

...but my memory for where I saw who perform and when, exactly, is sure getting foggy around the edges.


I woke up this morning thinking about that master, Albert Collins, picturing him performing in a specific venue (not the one highlighted here), the name of which for the life of me I can't remember. And I can't even exactly place when, except that I know, because of the people I remember being with me, that it had to be during the period when I was involved in college radio, probably when I was still general manager and a morning DJ.

Man, was he ever on fire. Absolute genius on his Telecaster. I've seen a lot of blues acts over time, but he was a stand-out, for sheer energy (which is another reason you'd think I'd remember WHERE. Had to be Philly. Surely.)--and the amount of sweat flung around, by him, his band and all the people dancing their behinds off. Except for me. As I recall, I was on crutches that night, as a result of one of the more spectacularly self-destructive stunts I'd pulled a few days (weeks?) earlier. Or maybe that was the OTHER time I saw him--and where was that? (Hmmm. Maybe I'm getting at the core reason why there are certain memories, or periods of time of memories, that my mind's letting go fuzzy as to the details. Hadn't thought of that time on crutches in at least a decade or longer, until this morning. Maybe, also, this is why I almost never remember dreams.)

Anyway, if you're not familiar with Collins, run, don't walk, to your nearest music shop, online store, or download site and get educated. You can pretty much pick anything at random, buy it unheard, and be a better person for it.



What are you waiting for?