Friday, September 22, 2006

Son Memories

Reader_Iam's son is at that lovable age when a boy sees enough of the world to know how much good he wants to do for it. Gods, you just want to stop time and hug them forever.

I remember when Luke was 5; we went to a birthday party for a daughter of the guitar player in my band, and at one point I looked up and Luke was sitting at the snack bar engaged in what looked like a serious conversation with my friend's father. The dad was the kind of old man who just has a way with kids like Luke, who have grown up around adults; calm and earnest and not the least bit condescending.

Afterwards he came up to me chuckling. "I asked your son what he wants to be when he grows up," he said. "He said, 'I want to be a writer, like my dad, but there's only one problem.' I said, 'What's that?' He said, 'I don't know how to write.' "