Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Real Life

[Posted by reader_iam]

I am moved by this Amba post, to which I respond in thinking of her:
Life is a game of whist. From unseen sources
The cards are shuffled, and the hands are dealt.
Blind are the efforts to control the forces
That, though unseen, are no less strongly felt.
I do not like the way the cards are shuffled,
But still I like the game and want to play;
And through the long, long night, will I, unruffled,
Play what I get, until the break of day.

--Eugene Fitch Ware

And to Jacques' position:
Lo! on a narrow neck of land,
'Twixt two unbounded seas, I stand.
Secure, insensible.

--Charles Wesley

And to Ambivablog:
Life is an unanswered question, but let's still believe in the dignity and importance of the question.
--Tennessee Williams

Dignity, humor and principled uncertainty are rare qualities (I'd like more of 'em myself). Attention should be paid to wherever they are found, in whatever circumstances.

Well, that's what I think, anyway.