Sunday, December 03, 2006

Worst Presidents?

[Posted by reader_iam]

Here's where I prove what I believe I've stated explicity: I'm no historian and don't have that bent of mind, no matter how interesting I find history or how much I read in that area. Exhibit One: Left to my own devices, I don't ever think of presidents in terms of precise rankings. Truth be told, I don't see practical value in it, as an exercise for me, at least not in terms of current events. Certainly not enough to do the work that would be required to come up with a learned, credible list of my own, based on something other than impression and broad outlines.

In contrast, I know there are readers here (not to mention our esteemed bloghost) who do have the background and even the interest to assess this list.

So have at it, if you're of a mind to do so. This is the sort of discussion I enjoy eavesdropping on, if not participating in.

Update: Callimachus' response.