Sunday, December 23, 2007

Christmas Meme

Yay, a meme tag. I haven't had one in ages. It's Christmas themed, though. I'm pretty boring when it comes to Christmas.

1. Wrapping or gift bags?

Wrapped in last week's Sunday funnies.

2. Real or artificial tree?

Artificial. I like a real tree but only if it's live. And I have no yard space to plant it afterward. The notion of celebrating the solstice holiday around a mutilated and dying thing is appalling to me.

3. When do you put up the tree?

My son's birthday is Dec. 12 and my daughter's is Dec. 13. So we try to keep a clear board for birthdays before turning the house over to holidays.

4. When do you take the tree down?

When we need to plug something else in.

5. Do you like egg nog?

Blech. Actually, there's probably a more expressive term than "blech" but I'd have to dig through old Mad magazines to find it. Hyper-sweetened camel mucus.

6. Favorite gift received as a child?

Hot Wheels! Second favorite: More Hot Wheels.

7. Do you have a nativity scene?

No, actually, now that you mention it. I've had them in the past but I no longer remember where they are. My favorite one was tiny and plastic and fitted in a little box that a chic club-goer could carry in her purse.

8. Worst Christmas gift you ever received?

After seeing what some of my wife's family give each other, I don't think anything I could recall would even count.

9. Mail or email Christmas cards?

My great guilt. It's been years since I got it together in time to get cards out.

10. Favorite Christmas Movie?

Probably the Muppets' version of "A Christmas Carol." Somehow, Dickens works better when half the characters are puppets. And Michael Caine makes a wonderfully muscular Scrooge.

11. When do you start shopping for Christmas?

I've done the Christmas Eve at Wal-Mart thing often enough that I don't need to prove to anyone anymore that I qualify for the "What Would Homer Simpson Do" type of man.

12. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas?

sushi

13. Clear lights or colored on the tree?

Both!

14. Travel at Christmas or stay home?

I'd flatten my own tires first.

15. Open the presents Christmas Eve or Christmas Morning?

Morning.

16. Most annoying thing about this time of year?

By the time I start to remember how it's supposed to feel, it's gone.

It's probably too late for tags on this theme, but I'll do a "joy to the world" tag and tag everyone who's yearning to do a meme today.