Thursday, January 17, 2008

Blond Bombshell

Usually I leave the job of tossing Jarts at Debbie Schlussel to the capable Dennis the Peasant.

But today, Holy hell!

In general, nothing shocks me about Islamic terrorists and which American politicians are aiding and abetting him.

But today, I am truly shocked beyond belief as I read that my former boss, former U.S. Congressman Mark D. Siljander, was indicted in an apparent scheme to help an Islamic charity fund Al-Qaeda and the Taliban against Americans, to the tune of $130,000[.]

Yes, kinda shocking, isn't it? What shocked me beyond belief about the story is that the AP got through the lede without mentioning that this is a Republican caught in bed with al-Qaida. Made a liar out of me, they did.

At least that was -- er, was -- the most shocking thing, till I read Deb's story:

But here's why I'm so shocked. When I worked for Mark Siljander, in the summer after my junior year of high school, and again when I was headed to college, I was just 16, but more than an intern. I wrote speeches for him, I helped tutor him in Hebrew, which he learned to speak and write, and I accompanied him to many events.

A 16-year-old temp was writing the speeches for a U.S. Congressman? Daniel Webster is pounding his head against his mausoleum walls. Sure enough, she has a picture of her intern badge on the post. She looks all of 16. Her signature looks like a schoolgirls'. I'm surprised there's not a big fat smiley face over the little "i." But it gets worse, I think.

What makes the allegations in the indictment so shocking, is that Siljander is a Born-Again Evangelical Christian. We had fast days [ed. -- "how fast?" nyuk] in his office. There were prayer circles. So deeply religious and so deeply against the Islamic threat, Siljander was known, at the time, as the most pro-Israel Congressman on Capitol Hill, with many Jewish and pro-Israel Evangelical contributors from all over the world. My father was one of those contributors. His Chief of Staff, Robin Luketina, even served in the Israeli Defense Forces.

Mark enlisted me to help him write a tough bill espousing sanctions against the Soviet Union because of its persecution of Soviet Jews. And he enlisted my help in pro-Israel and anti-PLO legislation.

A 16-year-old temp was writing bills on Cold War policy? Unless she did that at some later time.

Take it away, Dennis.