Friday, January 11, 2008

Chunky Alert

There's good, chewy, caramelly filling in here on the interplay of capitalism and democracy in the world today. I wish I had all evening to put together a post on it, but I don't. It touches on some things I've been uncomfortable with lately, including whether corporations have outgrown the nations that fostered them, and whether anyone could make the argument today that what's good for a big car manufacturer is good for America or any other nation (I think it once had at least a certain common sense). The article deals entirely with the modern world. What interests me, and I miss it in this write-up, is how the two concepts of economic freedom and popular sovereignty overcame their deep distrust of each other and achieved the American synthesis, which was a work of the 19th century.